Transport and Accommodation
If you're looking for a destination that brings nature to life, then look no further than the Mackay Region. From beach-lounging wallabies at Cape Hillsborough National Park, to shy-but-oh-so-cute platypus in Eungella National Park and secluded beaches that only a local would know, its got natural attractions on tap.
Art deco buildings, cute cafes and palm-tree lined streets make up the city heart of Mackay, while nothing is more than a 20-minute drive away.
- Slip on your deck shoes and settle in for an afternoon of tapas, cocktails and yacht-envy on the water at the Mackay Marina.
- Walk or ride the Bluewater Trail, taking you past the Pioneer River, Botanic Gardens, free man-made swimming lagoon and fishing platforms.
Beaches & Rainforest
Those in the know have been exploring Eungella National Park for years, but there is always something new to be discovered in Australia’s oldest and longest stretch of sub-tropical rainforest.
- Pack a picnic and plunge into the cool fresh waters of Finch Hatton Gorge.
- Take your pick of the 31 beaches that surround Mackay.
Great Barrier Reef & Islands
Weekends here are about jumping in the kayak, setting sail or packing the fishing rods and hiking gear and getting out to experience one of the Great Barrier Reef islands just offshore.
- Spend time at Keswick Island, to explore the walking trails, snorkel in waters teeming with coral and marine life, and camp blissfully disconnected from the world.
- Take a day trip to Airlie Beach – just 1 ½ hours drive north of Mackay – to explore the beauty of the Whitsundays.
You can explore more about our region by visiting the Mackay Tourism website at www.mackayregion.com
Mackay Region images courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland
Mackay has an inventory of over 2,000 rooms of 3.5 star standard and above. These properties are located throughout the region, including:
- Beachside resorts in Sarina and Surrounds,
- Mackay’s inner suburbs and Marina,
- Mackay’s Northern Beaches,
- Cape Hillsborough and Hibiscus Coast and
- The Pioneer Valley and Eungella National Park.
For business events organisers, there are more than 10 quality hotels offering 4 star and above accommodation located within walking distance, or a short drive, from the MECC.
Direct Hotels & Apartments Pacific Sands
For other accommodation options, check the Mackay Region website.